Who Are We?
The Fishermen is a non-denominational, non-political, and non-profit international aid and relief organization based in Raleigh, North Carolina. We exist to educate and provide health care to orphaned children around the world. We place emphasis upon caring for orphaned children with special needs. Among the services we provide are:
- Distribution of medical supplies to orphaned children, orphanages, and refugee camp services pertaining to orphaned children
- Offering basic medical services to orphaned children, orphanages, and refugee camp services related to orphans
- Teaching orphaned children, orphanage administrators, and refugee camp services pertaining to orphaned children how to use the medical supplies we provide
- Teaching orphaned children, orphanage administrators, and refugee camp services pertaining to orphaned children basic first-aid skills
- Providing career guidance in an online forum allowing orphaned children to communicate with professionals in the United States and elsewhere
- Providing orphaned children, orphanages, and refugee camp services pertaining to orphaned children a voice to request supplies and other necessities
Our Goals are to:
- Teach orphaned children how to take care of themselves
- Assist as many orphaned children as possible both educationally and medically
- Provide country-level statistical reports on orphans and orphanages
- Be the voice for orphanages in need
- Make a positive difference in the lives of others
Every life matters. We all know that the children of the world embody our greatest natural resource and our hope for a better future. Orphans are no different and often have the strongest hearts and greatest drive. These children deserve the opportunity to have a good life, and they deserve the chance to realize their potential.
Sadly, most orphanages are under-funded. They have good intentions but are unable to provide basic health care and are ill-equipped to educate their children properly. Since it is common practice for orphanages to evict a child once they reach the age of 18, many are forced to turn to crime or prostitution just to exist.
It is our desire to give orphaned children the chance they deserve to survive, to be happy, and to grow into healthy and self-sufficient adults. We want them to believe in their future, and that they have the power to make this world a better place. We want to give the orphaned children of the world hope, one child at a time.
Our mission is to provide medical aid to orphaned children around the world with as little expense as possible (we work from our homes, utilize donated supplies and cargo space, and accept no pay), and to teach those whom we serve how to use our supplies in order to promote self-sufficiency. Our lean and simple system of operation is meant to encourage others – especially children – to create their own charities and directly participate in making the world a better place regardless of age, financial status, and social background.